family friendly hikes (Utah)

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

saltair



Saltair
 We took the big boys to their very first concert at Saltair last weekend. 
I was just as excited to get there early and explore the beach and The Great Salt Lake.
I wanted to see the salt flats... 
I found out these weren't the dry white beaches I envisioned, but still neat to see.

 I thought it was very cool looking- and had my sis snap a 
picture of us... little did I know it (the sky, the crazy beach, the cool finds) would get even better. 
wild salt-loving plant

 My first few thoughts were of course that it was beautiful, but a little stinky.
I've heard it's the wetlands surrounding the lake, not the lake that smells.
But after a little bit, I couldn't smell anything.
 The boys had fun exploring- they turn everything into an adventure.
The closer we got to the water, they found a few dead baby birds- kind of sad.
I'm just telling you this in case you go and see the carcasses- I wonder what happened to them?

 The sun was just setting and it was beautiful. 
Ollie found a Harry Potter wand (aka a stick)
my sister Linds
spider nests- lots of them (Eeek!)


Adam taking pictures

 I'm amazed at the beauty... the boys were amazed at
the little flies feasting on the brine shrimp on the beach.




Elliott's photography!

the other side of the lake was a cool purple




 Elliott wanted a picture of this creekbed...
The beach was a weird muddy/sandy texture.
Some spots were really wet, some, not so much.
But Ollie's shoes were covered in salt afterwards from splashing in the puddles.










 The sky kept surprising us with more color! 
If you go- sunset is a cool time.
our little family (I'm sad Linc wasn't there this time)
me and my sis
 Then the boys discovered these little salt crystals!
Ollie even licked his to taste the salt.
Elliott's saltcicle
Elliott tried to save his in a little container back at the car, but it turned into white flakes.
Maybe he could make his own salt from this?
 This is what it looked like on the ground- just like ice! 
I 'd love to read more about this and how/why it happens.

red sky reflecting in the puddles on the beach
 The sky didn't disappoint this night... it looked like it was on fire!
I could NOT stop snapping photos.

the rocky stairs back up to the parking lot
This was just as cool as I thought, different, but cool. 
I'm glad we went at sunset. 
I still want to see the big, never-ending salt flats sometime soon...

Saltair at The Great Salt Lake

 Directions:

Head west on I-80 to exit 104 (Saltair Dr.)
It is on your right, just off the road.
You can't miss it.

Magna, UT 84044
Phone: 801-250-4400

We had to pay $5 for parking since it was for a concert.
This seems like a ripoff since we already paid for the ticket 
and fees, but I feel like it was worth it to visit the lake.
I don't know if the parking attendants are there on a regular basis? 
But anywhere along the road is a cool place to see the lake.

Picnic blankets would not work on this beach because it is too wet.
If you want to stay and relax for a while, bring chairs. And lots of bug-spray. 

3 comments:

Dan said...

If you head west on the frontage road a mile or so you end up at Black Rock (the big rock near the I-80/201 merge). Plenty of places to explore, plus a giant rock you can climb to the top of and watch the sunset.

Nielson said...

when we went to CA this summer, we drove past those amazing white salt flats--just another 20 minutes or so down the road. Amazing sunset pics! Loved it!

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful family you have.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...