family friendly hikes (Utah)

Monday, January 17, 2011

snowboarding

We finally got out snowboarding!! This is big for me because some winters I'm either pregnant or have a newborn that I can't leave all day. But not this winter! And we decided to take our boys this year- Elliott was excited and Ollie was... not. So we left him and Linc with a sitter and headed up to Brighton.
We were pleasantly surprised at how un-busy it was. NICE!
We put Elliott in a beginner snowboarding class that went from 10:15-12:30, so while he was there, Adam and I hit the slopes. I love snowboarding! It was great to get back out there!
The further up the mountains we went, the foggier it got and all the trees were frosted. So pretty.
It was perfect weather on Saturday too- partly cloudy and warm with no wind.
We looked off the backside after we got off the lift to see this- AMAZING.

Click below for more pics from snowboarding at Brighton!




 We picked up E, whose teacher said he still needed help on the lift, and needed to work on "powering up" after he had fallen, but otherwise said he was great. So we ate our sack lunch in the car and chatted about his class. He said they even taught him how to put his board on and take it off - pretty cool I think. After lunch, we headed up the beginner lift.


 He was impressive! Let's just put it this way- I learned when I was 16, and I'm pretty sure Elliott is better than I was on his first day than I was my whole first season (which might have something to do with the very first time I fell I was pretty sure I broke my tailbone, so I had an intense fear of falling on my butt again...)
 Anyway, he rode straight down both goofy and regular (right and left) and knew how to use his heels to slow down. If he fell, he got right back up and was ready to go.
 A few times on the crowded beginner hill and he was ready for the big lift-  staying on the easy green trails of course.
 Adam and Elliott
 I'm in love with this picture! My little Elliott. He looked so small on the big mountain. I was just very proud of him, that he wanted to try something new and worked hard to be good at it. Snowboarding isn't easy the first time...

 We were also impressed that Elliott didn't freak out on the lift. He has had a fear of heights and rides for a while. It didn't even phase him, and his first time on the lift was with his teacher, Andy and another kid in his class.
He lasted until 4:00 when our pass was up. But at the end he was SO VERY TIRED- we all were. It was a great day on the slopes and we all can't wait to get back up there! So beautiful and fresh and exhilarating! And at Brighton, 7 years old and younger board/ski free! We've got to take advantage this year while Elliott is still 7. (His lesson cost $49 though, because of course we went on a holiday blackout weekend...)

P.S. Did you know January is "Learn to ski/snowboard month" in Utah? There are deals to be had!  

Check the link below... 
The good news is- you can learn to ski/board! (No excuses now.) 
The bad news is- you've only got two weeks for these deals!

P.P.S. Come and use our boots and snowboards! (I'm serious. But just know my board and boots are 12 years old and not what the cool kids are riding...)

2 comments:

Knudson Family said...

That is awesome. Way to go Elliot! I have actually never snowboarded, but have heard that it is difficult on that first day. I always opt for skiing.....maybe I'll have to be brave next time!

Dag said...

Awesome post, you guys are motivating us! Miss riding the mountains...Lis had a pass there for a few years before and while I was first dating her. We need to get back up there...thanks for the post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...