family friendly hikes (Utah)

Friday, December 3, 2010

live nativity

We went to the coolest live nativity tonight. I've never heard of it until this year, but it's been going on for a few years now in Alpine.
You park at the church in Alpine, and if you're lucky (like us) you get to ride in a (clean) horse trailer to the actual nativity a few blocks away.
They had hay bales to sit on and the ground was covered in clean hay. It actually smelled nice in there- like sitting in a field in the summer.

(With our friend, the lama.)
It felt just like walking in the streets of Bethlehem, with dimly lit walkways and hay covering the mud. There were lots of animals walking around with their shepherds. And there were even Roman soldiers on giant horses asking for your taxes...
In the barn, there were four camels! They were very cute and... cuddly... and loved to be pet.
This one kept putting his face right next to Linc's. (They both loved it I think. Pretty sure the camel is smiling at my baby.) Did you know camels can live up to 50 years?
Hammering in the old Bethlehem marketplace.

Linc giggled so much every time he saw the donkey.
goats
sheep
Grammy and Grandpa even got to come with us.
The marketplace had lots of little booths showing the way of life back then. So fun for the kids to see. It's not snowing, just haydust in the air I think? I've got to see if Scentsy makes a hay scent...
measuring grains
Finally we followed the star and found Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus in the barn. It was so quiet and peaceful in there. I couldn't help getting a little misty-eyed explaining to the boys how this was just like the humble birth of the Savior of the world. BEAUTIFUL.
(The talented choir singing Christmas hymns in the barn. Can you believe this beautiful barn? Is it weird that I want it for my house?)

And get this- at the end they have delicious hot chocolate for you. Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

It is totally free, but near the hot chocolate booth there is a place for donations that go to "Operation Smile" and "Huntsman Cancer Institute" if you so desire. (And I hope you do.)

It was a lovely experience and I hope everyone can make it there. It only goes for two more nights:

Sat. December 4th, 2010 from 6-9 PM
Mon. December 6th from 6-9 PM

To get there: Go to 900 N. Main St. in Alpine, UT and park at the church. They will help you from there. It can get a little muddy, so just be aware and don't wear your stilettos. And of course, dress warm.

4 comments:

walkerbunch said...

That sounds so fun. Thanks for all of the info. I think we'll try it out Monday.

Mama Swalz said...

A beautiful & perfect way to start the Christmas Season!

Elisabeth said...

I was just talking about this with Dale. I think we'll try and get up there.

Ty and Mari said...

you always have the best things to do! I love this blog of yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...